PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS IN UKRAINE IN 2012
Wednesday, June 27, 6:00 pm
- 7:30 pm
U.S.-Ukraine Foundation conference room
One Thomas Circle NW, Suite 900-B, Washington, DC 20005
Please join us for roundtable discussion with Lesya Orobets, People's Deputy, Chairwoman of the Basic Education Subcommittee of the Science and Education Committee of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Ukrainian Parliament), moderated by Ambassador William Green Miller. Working language is English.
The discussion will be webcasted live and available to watch on our website beginning at 6:15 pm until 7:00 pm. To watch it live, visit this page at the time of the event:
Limited seating. To RSVP, contact Yuliya Solovey at email@example.com or (202) 223-2228.
LESYA OROBETS BIO
Lesya Orobets, Member of the Parliament of Ukraine (Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine); Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Basic Education within the Committee on Science and Education of the Parliament of Ukraine.
Her work with social media significantly enhances the effectiveness of her political outreach. According to the newspaper "Delo" Mrs. Orobets is recognized to be the most influential Ukrainian politician-blogger. Lesia Orobets blog, her account on Twitter and Facebook page are one of the most visited and popular among Ukrainian citizens.
Mrs. Orobets is one of the most influential ladies in Ukraine in 2011 according to the rating published in “Focus” magazine.
Spoken Languages: Ukrainian (native), Russian (fluently), English (fluently), German (good), French (good), Italian (basic level).
2004 - assistant to the member of the Parliament of Ukraine
2007 – now: Member of the Parliament of Ukraine
2008-2010: Vice-Chairwoman of the party “The United Center”
November 2010 – September 2011 – non-partisan politician. After V. Baloga (leader of the oppositional party “The United Center”) accepted the offer to become a minister in the government of Azarov, Mrs. Orobets publicly left the party
September 2011 – by now: member of the political party “The Front of Changes”
The main fields of legislative work:
1. The reformation of school education system.
2. The implementation of transparent and effective system of elections to representative bodies of power.
3. The development of NGOs and charity organizations.
4. The promotion of healthy lifestyle
The main results in legislation work:
1. The implementation and maintenance of standardized external testing (SET)
as a tool for equal access to higher education.
2. The reduction of daily smoking among men in Ukraine by 17% (from 62% in 2006 to 45% in 2011) and twice that in women (from 17% to 9% respectively).
3. In 2010 the national budget received UAH 13.06 billion in excise tax from tobacco, which is 5 times more than in 2007 (UAH 2.44 billion) and over the last two years combined - 2008 (UAH 3.58 billion) and 2009 (UAH 9.06 billion).
4. The refusal of a 100% proportional system to local elections.
Mrs. Orobets is currently working on:
- the adoption of laws on higher education to ensure a wide autonomy of
the university (financial, scientific, administrative), equal opportunities
for higher education through standardized external testing (SET), facilitation
of Ukraine entering world class education and science partnership, etc.
In cooperation with Arseniy Yatsenyuk Mrs. Orobets has prepared a draft
law “On Higher Education”;
- the implementation of a new law on NGOs and charity organizations, which was developed in conjunction with all major charities of Ukraine (draft law was adopted on the first reading, the final review was scheduled for the first quarter of 2012);
- the improvement of the anti-tobacco legislation.